Tuesday, August 11, 2009

"Technically, I'm hard as steel." - Q Tip

Attention: Dad
If you're reading this...stop.






After the Q-Tip concert, I was getting icecream. It was almost 11 PM. There it was, parked right outside the front doors, blue and beautiful. I got a small chocolate and cake batter mixed with cookie dough, which rang up about $3.50. So, I ask the guy at the cash register, "Yo dogg, who's bike's that?" and he's like, "Girl, you know dat's mine." (Not really.) But really, I asked him if he'd take me for a ride, to which he replied, "If you wait until 11:30 when I get off work." I waited, and then we drove around the corner to the empty parking lot where he asked, "Do you know how to drive?" I said, "No, but I want to learn one day." Then the magical words, "Why don't I teach you right now?" My palms started sweating, no kidding. He hopped off and let me slide down to the driver seat. I'll have you know that motorcycles are heavy. It almost fell on me. Luckily he caught me and the bike in time haha...ha. He showed me how to turn it on, where the "oh crap" button is that shuts the whole thing off, where to put my feet, my hands, how to shift, how to go, how to stop. Simple, really, but quite involved. I killed it the first couple tries, but then I got it every time after that. I never shifted out of first gear, and I never figured out the brakes quite right, and he did run beside me the whole time, but...wow. I felt so cool. I just want one even more now.

History in the making: "The first bike I ever drove was a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 500R."

5 comments:

Meg said...

That's amazing on so many different levels. You daredevil you!

paige said...

love the ghetto talk. fo real.

Heather said...

Hahaha....Martha, you went out with some random guy and his bike? Wow, I love you :)

Joel Deehr said...

Told you you need more than a 250! Buy one!

martha said...

dude...i know. he said that it won't be that much lighter of a bike and that as far as power goes, i'd outgrow the 250 really fast. he said a 500 is perfect.