Wednesday, August 26, 2009

"Hangin' tough, stayin' hungry" - Survivor

The only thing I can say about the following: why didn't I think of that?

Speaking of lions, tigers, and bears (oh my!), I learned I was born in the year of the Tiger. And not just any tiger--the Fire Tiger. The following is supposedly my personality outlook. I don't think I concur.

"Tiger people are sensitive, given to deep thinking, capable of great sympathy. They can be extremely short-tempered, however. Other people have great respect for them, but sometimes tiger people come into conflict with older people or those in authority. sometimes Tiger people cannot make up their minds, which can result in a poor, hasty decision or a sound decision arrived at too late. They are suspicious of others, but they are courageous and powerful. Tigers are most compatible with Horses, Dragons, and Dogs."

(For added effect.)

Regardless, from now on you may refer to me as Fire Tiger (rawr) and you better believe this is my theme song.

A few more notes on why 1986 is so fantastic:
  • The energizer bunny was first introduced in 1986.
  • Designated as International Year of Peace by United Nations.
  • Computer-created Luxo, Jr. is first of Pixar's virtual studio films.
  • The first celebration of Martin Luther King Day.
  • At the movies: ET, Die Hard, Ghosts Busters, Gremlins, and Stand by Me.
  • Japanese introduce Game Boy, with 8-bit operating system.
  • The Space Shuttle Challenger exploded on January 28, 1986.
  • Voyager 2 sends back images of Uranus, and who wasn't excited about that?!
  • Cable shopping networks meet two public desires: TV and shopping.
  • MCMLXXXVI is ridiculously long, I don't know what the Romans would do these days.
  • Hailstones weighing 2.2 lb fall on the Gopalganj district of Bangladesh, killing 92.
  • In Ukraine, one of the reactors at the Chernobyl nuclear plant explodes, creating the world's worst nuclear disaster. 56 are killed directly by the incident, many more die from cancer in later years, many thousands more are exposed to significant amounts of radioactive material, and vast territories in Ukraine and Belarus are rendered uninhabitable.
  • In Louisville Kentucky, William J. Schroeder, the second artificial heart recipient, dies after 620 days (Woot, shout out to my crib).
  • Cliff Burton, bassist for Metallica from 1982–1986, dies on the Damage Inc. tour in Europe after being crushed by Metallica's tour bus. Oh my gosh, right?
  • The day I was born U.S. President Ronald Reagan signs the Goldwater-Nichols Act into law, making official the largest reorganization of the United States Department of Defense since the Air Force was made a separate branch of service in 1947.
  • Mike Tyson wins his first world boxing title by defeating Trevor Berbick in Las Vegas.
  • Nobel Peace Prize: Elie Wiesel, only one of the greatest human beings ever.
  • Did I mention I was born?
Are you jealous yet?

1 comment:

Meg said...

Where do you find crap like that? I love how it says, "Some tiger people..." The term "tiger people" sounds like some weird half-breed colony found in remote Africa. Go Gremlins, Game Boy, and you though!