Sunday, August 2, 2009

"[Change] is hard and it happens slowly" - Paper Route

I'm a fan of the indie music scene. I haven't always been the most loyal fan, but 2009 has been a year of changes. I took a hiatus of sorts and caught up on my popular bands/singers, and last night while downloading the soundtrack to 500 Days of Summer (which is #1 on the must-hear-now list), I can honestly say I've been inspired to come back. Not that I ever really left, but you know. Man, I forgot how much I love to surf music blogs.

So, during my soundtrack downloading and music blog search I found a few bands that are necessary to have on my ipod, a few that will probably just stay on my Project playlist, and a few that are better left unheard. Here are the few bands that I think are most noteworthy:

The Smiths.
What Garden State did for The Shins, 500 Days of Summer is doing for The Smiths. I wonder if Zach Braff is getting a pension from The Shins. Whoever arranged the soundtrack for 500 Days should probably get a pension from The Smiths, assuming they'll get as big as The Shins did after Garden State. Just an opinion.
Songs to look up:
-> There is a light that never goes out
-> Please let me get what I want*
(Deftones have an interesting hard rock cover of this song. If you're looking for a new experience, I'd suggest listening.)

Paper Route.
Holy crap these guys are awesome. If you like MGMT, Empire of the Sun, and Passion Pit, you'll love these guys too. I haven't found a mediocre song by them yet.
Songs to look up:
-> Second chances
-> Are we all forgotten
-> Carousel
-> Wish*

Rogue Wave.
Confession: I kind of already knew this band before last night, but they're great and should be mentioned. I believe one of Kelsey's favorite songs is Eyes, too.
Songs to look up:
->Eyes*
->Everyday

Pixies.
These guys have been around a while, but they're new to me and maybe they'll be new to you too. They carry the retro sound too.
-> Here comes your man
-> Where is my mind*
(John P. Strohm does a way good cover)

Passion Pit.
Collin, my indie music sensai, introduced these guys to me. Just brilliant. I pretty much love every song by them too. They were recently featured on Urban Outfitters' LSTN album #4. They're loved by many a music blogger, and are arguably the first of the 80s throwback bands.
-> The Reeling* (i can't get enough of the intro)
-> Moth's wings
-> Sleepyhead

The Doves.
Their songs are just so dang catchy. Their music spans a lot of different sounds, which is a trait I always appreciate. I am excited for their future. I also enjoy his voice--kind of reminds me of Coldplay.
-> There goes the fear*
-> Caught in the storm
-> Catch the sun

Mumm-Ra.
Undeniably from Great Britain, and undeniably fantastic. They have rock roots, so I'm immediately sympathetic. I found myself humming to their music the first time I ever heard them. Basically my expectations are big for these guys.
-> Now or never
-> She's got you high*
-> Out of the question

Even though these bands are still relatively unheard of, I find it interesting that some of them have been blogged about since 2007. I didn't think I was that out of the loop, but clearly I am still a n00b and roughly 2 years behind.



*favorite songs

2 comments:

Joel Deehr said...

I bought some skinny jeans so I can now listen to all this indie music you recommend.

martha said...

haha hey, i am not recommending fulfilling any sort of stereotype to listen. i don't even have skinny jeans.