Saturday, July 19, 2008

A day of gain, a day of loss.


First, an update on my motorcycle kick.

Turns out, a bike with 1000 cc will kill me. I was informed of this by a friend of mine at work, amongst other seasoned riders, who said that a 250 would be perfect. The bike voted best starter bike is the Kawasaki Ninja 250R (pictured). And as i said before, i would buy it only in black. It's lightweight, very good handling, still powerful, 80 miles to the gallon, and a brand new 2008 is only $3500. I came up with a plan to get it in April of 2009, as my graduation present to me. :) Either i'll get the 2009 or a cheaper 2008 by then, I'll have saved up enough money booting cars and working at Apx, and be ready to move to huntington beach to use it all year round until graduate school. Pretty sweet plan huh? If there is one thing i've learned in my years at college, it is that plans are silly. So far, every one of my plans have seemed to fall through except graduating with a psych degree. And i've even questioned that a few times.

So, today i get to work and i get an email from my dad that says (this is copied and pasted):

"Martha, This is your Dad. Please do not sell your car for a motorcycle! The one and only reason I do not want you to have a motorcycle or ride a motorcycle, or anyhting like unto it; is that I could not suffer seeing you in a hospital with your skin peeled off of your body with your legs and arms broken. I could not suffer seeing you with your bowels outside of your body and your brains on the the road. I could not suffer seeing you be in a wheelchair for the rest of your life and feeding you through a staw. I am being serious, this is not funny, so quit giggling."

And yes, as sincere as it was, i started laughing out loud after i read the word "straw." The very next second my friend Grant goes, "what?" and then I read, "...so quit giggling." !!! i then laughed even harder, because my dad actually knew i would laugh. and i did. and that's never happened to me before.

Second, a misfortune story for the day.

So i told my friend steph we'd shop the Nordstrom annual sale today, which was AMAZING. i got very close to picking out the perfect pair of jeans!! they're as close i'll get probably. They are Silvers, beautiful dark blue, no holes, and just the right length to wear with heels (pictured). And of course they make my backside look fabulous, which is what every good pair of jeans ought to do (not pictured: this is a model). Then, i got this great black military style wool jacket made by Frenchi (also pictured). Basically i am ready for fall clothes! As we were leaving after an exhausting day of shopping, i was searching my purse for my keys only to realize they were GONE! i have no idea where i put them. i spent the next hour or so looking around to no avail. Steph, luckily, had met me there so she just drove me home. On our way out i saw Rod!! Best dressed man in the provo/orem area, btw. (old fhe brother who has now been married for over a year.) I had Travis take me back to my car after we watched Amalie at their apartment with some friends.
And here i am thinking how surreal it is to be keychain-less. i really hope someone finds them.

Grant, Amy and I got pretty camera happy today at work.

We then got in trouble for taking pictures in the call room. I guess they don't trust employees with recording devices with other people's social security numbers, credit cards, addresses, phone numbers of everyone they know...whatever.

Ps. Dark Knight was unbelievable. I'm still speechless over how incredible it is. More on that and Amalie to come.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Amelie is such a fun movie! And I tend to agree with your dad about the bike - but you know I'm a pretty cautious fellow.