Wednesday, July 16, 2008

California, here we come

I heard on the radio driving up to Riverton tonight that if you are averaging 15 miles a gallon, and drive over a 100 miles a week, you are spending something like over $300 on gas a week. I don't know if that is the exact mileage, but when i heard it, i immediately applied the math to my 2000 Honda Passport. Let's just call it even and say that would mean i'm spending half my paycheck on gas. Ugh. Something must be done.

...and that something is called the 2001 Yamaha Fazer 1000. (Yes, i would buy it in black and black only.)

Now, why this one? I haven't done that much research, but i do know that this bike is suppose to be less powerful and sporty than the R1, and is more "standard." I wouldn't want to be hunched down on a rocket for my every day experience. This is more upright, and apparently easier to control. I don't know how or when, but before i die i will own a motorcycle.

While i was in california this past weekend, i was taken out on our friend Nate's roommate's Ducati. It was a lovely experience, to say the least. The dream of owning one became a reality during that ride, and talking with him about it afterwards just made it more tangible. I could feel the breeze in my hair as he said, "Just do it." (And that wasn't because he was breathing in my face.)

Now, those of you who know me personally also know that I am not one for taking good pictures. And even worse, candid shots. But I got a pretty decent pic! Meg was laying down and looking up at me while i was talking to her about my book (which is funny in a very 1940's way btw) and then she got me! This also happened to be taken our first day at the beach, which i also have a new appreciation for because of our trip. I learned how to body surf (even though i failed 99% of the time) but at least i know how to do it now. I swallowed tons of salt water unwillingly, but it was so worth it. I have this idea that if you chew gum while you're in the ocean, the salt water probably wouldn't be so bad. If anyone is going to the beach soon, try it out and let me know. We left before i could try it out.

Also, i know that southern california and i have not gotten along very well in the past...but I dare say that I have also had a change of heart about that too. This time was so unlike all the rest! We lived it up like locals, going to the good shopping areas, hanging out with friends and family of friends, and walking to the beach...yeah. We made it up to downtown LA to visit tresa's cousin who lives in TYRESE'S APT COMPLEX!! Just to give you a refresher of who that is:

You might remember him from Transformers, various music videos, and other movies which I can't think of right now. The point was, I was at his apt complex. We didn't try and stalk him, but i felt pretty cool. It's silly to recognize that I could care less about famous people during normal life, but it's like the pre-teen switch flips on when i get close to someone famous. That one turns me googly-eyed, stuttering and frozen. *Notice: not to be confused with being twitterpated. I happen to think the twitterpated switch is a good thing. Man do i feel silly with my picture so close to his.

You might also know this little tidbit about me: I associate music with memory. Result: I have a playlist associated with our roadtrip. There's a lot of hiphop because for the last month and a half i have really soaked that genre in. *shrug*. You can listen to it on my facebook profile if you're interested. I think it's dope.

MIA - stake singles dance
Trick Daddy - Nate.
Sondre Lerche - I saw Dan in Real Life. Finally. Love that song.
Phantom Planet - While driving to dinner one night, us girls randomly sang that song at the top of our lungs.
Sugarcult - drive down.
Dashboard - drive back.
Fergie - meg
Sublime - my part of driving back
Nada Surf - jess.
Rilo Kiley - tresa
Blackstreet - i just love that song. period.

Figure 1


I have also become a recent fan of Arrested Development, thanks to a few friends, mainly Stephen Washburn. He has been trying to get me to watch it for years, and now that he is back from his mission, we have made it a goal to watch all 3 seasons. So far soooooo goooood.
The joke about never nudes came up when Nate gave us a slight fashion show of his recently acquired girls capri pants. Here you can see in Figure 1 that Nate is displaying the pull pair. You can't see it, but his butt looks better in these than any of us girls could even dream.
Figure 2.
As you see here, we turned them into Tobias's never-nude cut-offs, which Nate proceeded to wear under his shorts. He took them off, stuffed them into his hat, and then strutted around the beach. I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure i heard applause coming from down the beach. He made lots of friends and had many a picture taken. Well done friend.

So that's my trip in a nutshell. I hope that answered some of those questions i've been asked! It doesn't really do justice, but rarely pictures do. Well...maybe Nate in never-nude cutoffs.

No comments: