Tuesday, October 13, 2009

"I feel silly, selfish and dizzy" - Passion Pit

Upon reflecting back on this morning's event, only two words come to mind: farcical phenomenon.

But first, you should know I started setting my alarm about 20 min before I actually should wake up. I guess I enjoy hitting the snooze button exactly 4 times before I have to get up. It's like when it first goes off, I know I have 20 more minutes of sleeping. Weird, I know.

So today.
I do my normal routine. However, this time I turned my phone off instead of hitting snooze, a tricky maneuver when you're dead tired with one eye half open. (I can't tell you how many times I've slept in because of that one unfavorable push of the wrong button.) So of course I'm laying there sleeping, dreaming I'm awake (another very bad trick my body plays on me at times) when I hear extremely loud scratching on my window that is right next to my bed, about a foot south of my head. I immediately jumped up, my palms are already sweaty, and I'm wide awake. Accompanying this horrible scratching is a constant thud sound and then a high pitched squeal. It took me about 1 minute before I realized A BAT WAS BANGING ON MY WINDOW at 9:00 AM this morning. A BAT. I never see the creatures around here, much less in the AM hours, and even more rare AT MY WINDOW. He disappeared and then came back again, this time banging on my window for even longer.
*jaw drop
I mean really, people. Birds and bats do not just bang their bodies against random windows, ones that are clearly opaque (my blinds were shut) during their sleeping hours. 
That's when I realized that my phone alarm was off.
And that's when I thanked Heavenly Father.



***Readers, take note:
It has come to my attention that a lot of you were/are unaware that each post has a link to the song I quote as the title. Just in case you didn't get catch on, I'm making it explicit now. 

So, in honor of seeing Passion Pit in concert last week, which words cannot express how impressed I was, I will give you a song to listen to and love. If you're into love songs right now, you'll like it. This is probably the only love song I like right now, as the cynic in me has more or less taken over. It's a touch sad, a touch dreamy, and altogether realistic. I think I like this song best because I can picture the cartoon version of myself walking down the street to that excellent beat with just enough bounce in my step to call it a "swagger," swinging my arms, nodding my head, giving people the thumbs up because I just met the next boy who will sweep me off my feet...life is pretty cool when you're a cartoon. And just know that this song, while amazing recorded is about 10 times better performed live by a beautiful man with his beautiful falsetto voice.

*sigh

7 comments:

Andy said...

I originally thought you meant, like, a baseball bat was knocking itself against your window, which is--no offense--much creepier than one of the flying rat kinds.

But still, good story.

Alexandra said...

you are funny! i like passion pit too.

Alexandra said...

Okay HAD TO ADD my word verification for last comment... KID YOU NOT:

"pastshag"

best word verification in all of blogger!!!

Kels H.M. said...

Dear Alexandra - I am always very amused by the word verifications - I think that one wins.

Martha, that is just weird. But in a cool, sort of the-creepy-ish-Halloween-animals-are-conspiring-in-your-favor sort of way. wow.

Kels H.M. said...

& my last word was scucka! What what?

Martha, it's like your blog is giving word gifts today.

Haley said...

Because you follow me, I follow you. I feel like we have a solid foundation going here.
I'm glad you think I'm funny!
I think you are, too. I mean, if a bat had banged on my window at 9 AM, I would still be too traumatized to blog about it.

Holijay said...

Passion Pit is the goodness. Ever try Miike Snow?