Thursday, January 7, 2010

"Do me a favor, call me jerk one more time" - New Boyz

Apologies for the lack of blogging in my life, reading and publishing alike. The holidays were kind of a rush with work, and I've been more social lately, I guess...?
In any case I have a story, a song, AND a video for you, entitled punks.

So I'm reading a friend's paper. A friend I respect, mostly because of his vocabulary and the IQ score that it alludes to. So imagine my surprise when I came across a GRE vocab word that he uses incorrectly. I had to do a mental double take because at first I wasn't sure.  
Wait...does that word fit? No, I must have the wrong definition...no...no it definitely is used wrong in this sentence.
I tried to think of how many words he's used incorrectly that I haven't noticed. How many smiles and nods have I given while the dictionary pages flip helplessly in my head, searching for that crucial definition that ultimately changes the meaning of the entire conversation? How many times has he knowingly used a word incorrectly and watched me nod and smile like a fool pretending to know what he's talking about?
I wasn't sure if I should pay more attention to the embarrassment I was feeling of not catching possible mis-usage of words, or the satisfaction that I caught him in his perhaps too cocky use of big words.
In either case, I wanted to call him out on his mistake. How dare he use an English word improperly. I mean, anyone with less of a reputation I would dismiss the mistake as a result of flawed education or foul breeding...but he holds himself in such a way that even his extended circle, including myself, considers him a Gentleman and a Scholar.

So what did I do?

I kept my mouth shut and kept reading.
After all, he is a Gentleman.

Also, this song has grown on me over the months. I think I'm officially back into the hiphop phase of my music taste.


After you love the song, watch the video. Next time you're at a dance party and this song comes on, you'll be the center of attention instead of that nerd in the corner sipping away at your drink.



My favorite? The Reject.

5 comments:

paige said...

oh my goodness. i am in love with these boys.

Kels H.M. said...

My natural curiosity is prickling to know which verbose person you are speaking of...

PS - I've missed your blog almost as much as I've missed you.

Kels H.M. said...

okay, so that was the best eight minutes & 22 seconds of my day, right durr.

Unknown said...

I've been practicing for the past hour...prepare yourself!

Anonymous said...

so this is what chris was talking about at group, well before group started. very interesting...