Wednesday, March 11, 2009

"The Garden Meeting" - John Williams

Ok, so I saw Twilight. And wow, definitely didn't wait long enough to see it. Absolutely defiled the books, the way movies are made...utter disgust was on my face the entire time except for when I was having my back scratched. Save your money and time.

Also, as I was trying to fall asleep (and couldn't) I thought of my favorite poem, which was a nice reminder of how good literature/prose (i.e. everything the Twilight movie is not) should be. This semester I had to write a paper about a word in a poem and how it elevates the poem to a higher level of understanding based on the multiple definitions of the word, etc. I chose this poem and the word FLAY. 2 pages later, I realized that FLAY had to have been created for this poem, not the other way around. It is the perfect word to describe the scene: A+ for James Wright. Go on, I dare you to look it up and read every definition found in the OED (BYU students can access it through HBLL library for free). I've alluded to this poem before, and I think I'm ready to finally unveil it's deliciously rich verbage on you, allowing you to experience how deep some words really are, and for me to remember what good entertainment really is. And on that note, one of my absolute favorite soundtracks is Memoirs of a Geisha. Another genius album by John Williams. The music is serene, mystical, undertones of sadness, darkness...I can't describe it, so watch the movie. AND read the book, because BOTH are amazing. This is a case of double the pleasure. I think I would add this movie to my Top 10 favorites, by the way. I may have to do some rethinking on my list. At any rate, I think the mood this song emanates is one that may set the stage for the intensity this poem presents.

Written by James Wright (1927-1980)

Saint Judas

When I went out to kill myself, I caught
A pack of hoodlums beating up a man.
Running to spare his suffering, I forgot
My name, my number, how my day began,
How soldiers milled around the garden stone
And sang amusing songs; how all that day
Their javelins measured crowds; how I alone
Bargained the proper coins, and slipped away.

Banished from heaven, I found this victim beaten,
Stripped, kneed, and left to cry. Dropping my rope
Aside, I ran, ignored the uniforms:
Then I remembered bread my flesh had eaten,
The kiss that ate my flesh. Flayed without hope,
I held the man for nothing in my arms.

2 comments:

Kels H.M. said...

John Williams = Musical Genius

Memoirs of a Geisha (book & movie) = Beautiful

Martha Knight = One of My Favorite People (even though I've only met her in person...hmm..once.)

BEAZER said...

Hold on tight, spidermonkey